HCN is a division of Life Connection Mission offering a different and proven education-to-employment model that empowers students and donor/sponsors to begin breaking the cycles of hopelessness in Haiti:
- • A Student Computer Center, where qualified students safely pursue on-line educational degrees from partnering higher learning institutions in the USA.
- • Molding students through hands-on “soft skills” seminars taught by professional volunteers.
- • A real-world curriculum, including an internship program in collaboration with organizations in Haiti.
- • Employment placement assistance.
- • An approach designed to ensure successful outcomes through partnership between all major stakeholders: Students, Haitian-based Businesses (Prospective Employers,) and HCN Staff in cooperation with Academic Partners and Donors.
- • A nominal cost of $2,000 per student per year includes all expenses and feeding program.
Why is a Student Computer Center so important?
In January 2010, 28 of 32 Haitian universities collapsed or were no longer functioning, leaving a gaping hole in an already fragile education system. To understand the critical need for a Student Computer Center location in Haiti, one must first comprehend the immense necessity for infrastructure. To give a student a laptop and send them on their way to pursue their dreams of education may work in an industrialized nation. However, in Haiti this has the same benefit as handing a student a rock. Without reliable energy, consistent broadband connection, available technical assistance, and security, the student has gained little. The HCN Student Computer Center fills this void by providing the necessary infrastructure needed for success. The online education model is achievable!